Generic Modafinil is also widely known under its brand term Provigil, and has received an approval of the Food and Drug Administration. It is one of the basic remedies, which are easing general symptoms of narcolepsy illness.
Meanwhile, most of the medicine’s users are students who administer it without prescription during the study and exams – they use it non-officially. They suppose that the remedy really works like this. On the other hand, medical researchers have found that Modafinil molecules indeed increase thinking processes, as well as attention, ability to learn and remember facts fast.
What are the reasons for prescript?
Basic usage of the remedy has been noted in curing acute sleepiness, which was induced by narcolepsy illness (abnormal sleepiness during the day). As well, patients whose work is shifted, consume Modafinil in order to schedule their sleeping regime.
People, who suffer from obstructive sleep apnea, use the remedy along with inhalers or other cures to preclude undue sleepiness.
From medical point, the cure is classified as special agent, which promotes wakefulness. Its working actions are explained by capacity to change certain chemicals in brain sector, which control cycles of sleeping.
Proper ways of taking the remedy
Modafinil is manufactured as tablets, which are consumed by mouth one time per day. Users with acute narcolepsy or sleep apnea are advised to take the remedy after breakfast. And those sufferers, who need to handle sleepiness during work shifts, should consume pills 30 minutes before the shift time. The regime of remedy intake should be set, thus take it at the same time during the day.
Some patients can get used to the medication, as it has a feature to form a habit. Avoid extra amounts or longer periods of intake, than it was indicated by your medician. The remedy itself cannot heal complications with sleep, but it is rather efficient in decreasing the sense of sleepiness. In moments when you feel well, do not quit the pills and go on the course – you can stop it only when you get medical approval from your healthcare specialist.
Specific precautions to be considered
Before beginning the cure, be sure that you follow these additional tips in order to secure your health:
- Be aware that you are not hypersensitive to generic Modafinil or its basic components.
- Write down a list with all medicines and supplements you are consuming. Make sure that you do not miss any of these substances:
- drugs for blood thinning (e.g. Warfarin);
- antidepressants (Amoxapine, Anafranil, Tofranil, Pamelor, Vivactil, Surmontil, etc.);
- medicine for treating fungal infections (Sporanox, Nizoral);
- generic forms of Valium;
- anticonvulsants – Tegretol, Dilantin, etc.
- MAO inhibitors – Marplan, Nardil, Zelapar, Parnate, and others;
- SSRIs – Celexa, Lexapro, Sarafem, Luvox, Paxil, Zoloft;
As well, some extra medicines which are not mentioned above, cannot be combined with Provigil. Only your pharmacist can clarify further details.
- Alcohol, street drugs, or other stimulants should be avoided during the cure.
- Take extra care about contraceptives – hormonal pills’ effect is usually decreased due to the active ingredients of the drug. Females should discuss with a gynecologist about alternative ways for birth control.
- Pregnant and nursing women are strongly advised to avoid the drug.
What side effects can be caused by this cure?
Modafinil, or wakefulness agent, is likely to be the cause of various side actions. Make some extra medical checks and consultations in case you experience these main states:
- migraine or acute headache;
- unbalanced sleeping cycles;
- complications in organs of digestive system;
- feeling seek or vomiting;
- inability to eat normally;
- ache in muscles or in certain parts of the body.